Home

Origin

Regiment

"A" Company

The People

Father Duffy

Medal of Honor

Lineage and Honors

Traditions

Heraldry

Civil War

Antietam

Spanish American War

Captain Henry Mingay

1865-1916

Rouge Bouquet

1940

World War II

THE CAPTURE OF MAKIN

1945-2005

Chaplains

JFK 1963

1966 "The Sergeants"

1967 "The Sergeants"

1969 Beefsteak

1971 Garryowen

1971 Logan - Duffy

Garryowen 1972

1986 CIA

Regimental Installation Ceremony

The Armory

Military Records

Casualties in Iraq

E Company

NCOs

Officers

Poetry

Historical Restoration Project

Iraqi Freedom

One If By Land

Civil War Flag Project

Check Your Email

Timothy Donohue

Contact Us

Join the Veteran Corps

Colonels

Names on Crest

1848 Declaration

Fredericksburg 150th

Official History

E-Mail

 

1945

Inactivated 31 December 1945 at Fort Lawton, Washington

1946

 

1947

Reorganized and Federally recognized 10 April 1947 with Headquarters at New York

 

Relieved 17 May 1947 from assignment to the 27th Infantry Division and assigned to the 42d Infantry Division

1948

 

1949

 

1950

 

1951

October 10, 1951, COL. Martin H. Foery hosts the 100th Anniversary Dinner held at Hotel Astor, attended by Major General Donovan, Cardinal Spellman and many dignitaries including former Regimental Commanders: Cavanaugh, Meaney, Mangan, and Hart.

October 12, 1951, Major General William J. Donovan reviews the Regiment in the armory. 

1952

 

1953

On March 17, 1953, two Irish wolfhounds were adopted as official mascots of the Regiment. They wore green battle gear with gold 69 embroidered on it and paraded directly behind the Regimental Color Guard.

On April 11, 1953, COL Martin H. Forey presented the battle standard carried by the 69th Regiment during the Battle of Antietam to the U.S. Aircraft Carrier Antietam at a ceremony held at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

1954

 

1955

"An Tostal - Ireland at Home" - 7 members of the 165th Infantry (Majors Byrne and Rooney, Lt Powers, MSGs Fitzsimmons, Kelly, and Ginty, and Sgt McNulty) travel to Ireland to represent 69th in a national Irish festival at invitation of Consulate General of Ireland. The Reserve Forces Act requires new enlistees to attend 6 months initial active duty training.

1956

 

1957

 

1958

General Edward F. Logan, Commander of the 101st and General William D. Lynch, Commander of the 165th (69th NY) reinstated the competition.

 

On 11 October 1958, the first post-war match was fired at Camp Curtis Guild Massachusetts with the 101st returning the trophy to Boston.

1959

Reorganized 16 March 1959 as a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System to consist of the 1st Battle Group, an element of the 42d Infantry Division

1960

 

1961

 

1962

 

1963

Reorganized and redesignated 15 April 1963 as the 69th Infantry to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 42d Infantry Division

1964

 

1965

 

1966

 

1967

On August 26, 1967 General Harold K. Johnson, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff, reviewed the 42d Division on their 50th Anniversary at Ft Drum, Sgt Richard O'Neill, Medal of Honor, WWI attended.

1968

69th Infantry became an SRF (Selected Reserve Force) Unit. The number of drills increased from 48 to 72 per year

 

69th assigned to 2d Brigade, 3d Brigade disbanded

1969

 September 12, 1969 ChaplainsÂ’ Plaque is dedicated in the armory

1970

1st and 2d Battalions ordered into active Federal service 24 March 1970 at home stations for mail strike; released 30 March 1970 from active Federal service and reverted to state control (Operation Graphic Hand).

1971

 

1972

 

1973

Draft ended. Army becomes all volunteer.

1974

 

1975

Reorganized 1 April 1975 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 42d Infantry Division

1976

 

1977

 

1978

 

1979

Operation Golf Plum (State Corrections Officers' Strike), April 1979

1980

 

1981

 

1982

 

1983

On April 12, 1983, the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the 69th Regiment Armory an official New York City landmark.

1984

 

1985

 

1986

Central Intelligence Agency honors Colonel William (Wild Bill) Donovan, Battalion Commander in World War I at CIA Headquarters

1987

 

1988

 

1989

Withdrawn 1 May 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System

 

LTC Robert Hutter takes Command of Battalion

1990

 

1991

LTC Hutter is presented with a copy (number 69) of "Raise the Colors" - a print by artist Mort Kunsler of the 69th attacking at Bloody Lane at Sharpsburg, MD during the Civil War, by the graduating class of the U.S. Army War College at Carlyle Barracks. The print hangs in the Battalion Commander's office in the armory.

1992

LTC Frank Riggio takes Command of Battalion

1993

Converted and redesignated 1 September 1993 as the 69th Air Defense Artillery to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 42d Infantry Division

1994

 

1995

 

1996

Converted and redesignated 1 October 1996 as the 69th Infantry to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 42d Infantry Division.

March 16, 1996, Installation Ceremony of Distinguished and Honorary Members of the Regiment held in the armory.

1997

 

1998

 

1999

 

2000

 

2001

Activated for 9/11, Armory utilized as family comfort center immediately after attack. Soldiers worked at Ground Zero and guarding rail stations and bridges

2002

 

2003

 

2004

Deployed to Iraq

2005

 

 





|Home| |Origin| |Regiment| |"A" Company| |The People| |Father Duffy| |Medal of Honor| |Lineage and Honors| |Traditions| |Heraldry| |Civil War| |Antietam| |Spanish American War| |Captain Henry Mingay| |1865-1916| |Rouge Bouquet| |1940| |World War II| |THE CAPTURE OF MAKIN| |1945-2005| |Chaplains| |JFK 1963| |1966 "The Sergeants"| |1967 "The Sergeants"| |1969 Beefsteak| |1971 Garryowen| |1971 Logan - Duffy| |Garryowen 1972| |1986 CIA| |Regimental Installation Ceremony| |The Armory| |Military Records| |Casualties in Iraq| |E Company| |NCOs| |Officers| |Poetry| |Historical Restoration Project| |Iraqi Freedom| |One If By Land| |Civil War Flag Project| |Check Your Email| |Timothy Donohue| |Contact Us| |Join the Veteran Corps| |Colonels| |Names on Crest| |1848 Declaration| |Fredericksburg 150th| |Official History|